It’s the ugly cupcake, known as the muffin! So have you seen that SNL skit with Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer and Betty White where they’re on a radio show talking about muffins? Well, thanks to SNL, I can’t shake the image of that skit when baking muffins. Thanks SNL for making the honest muffin seem so dirty…
Back then, millions of years ago, there was such a thing as a muffin fad. People couldn’t get enough of the bran muffin. Yummmm… (Que the sarcasm). But really, why were people so obsessed with muffins? I mean muffins are awesome, but really, a muffin fad? Bizarre.
If you’re on a health kick like I am, but don’t want a “healthy” bran muffin, these muffins are slightly guilt free. Their sweetness comes from raw honey, bananas and apple sauce! This muffin recipe is all my own, no recipe that I found online or a family recipe! I guess working in a bakery has really inspired me to experiment!
Honey Banana Blueberry Muffin Recipe: Makes 12 muffins
2 Very Ripe Bananas (Mashed)
1 tbsp. Plain Greek Yogurt
1 1/2 C. All-Pourpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
Dash of Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 Stick Butter
1/4 C. Raw Honey (or what’s on hand)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 C. Apple Sauce
1/2 C. Fresh Blueberries + 1/4 tsp. Flour
Dried Unsweetened Coconut (Optional)
Sliced Almonds (Optional)
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Mash 2 ripe bananas and mix 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt together. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.
3. In a standmixer, cream softened butter. Then add honey and vanilla. After incorporated, add 1 egg and 1/4 cup of apple sauce. (I used mixed berry apple sauce, because that was what was on hand).
4. In three parts, alternate the dry ingredients with the mashed bananas. Once all incorporated, fold the blueberries that were tossed in 1/4 teaspoon of flour.
5. Scoop the batter 3/4 of the way full between 12 muffin cups. Top each muffin with coconut flakes and sliced almonds. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Thank you for reading! Happy baking!